Voodoo Tone Monster Strat Pickguard - NO pickups
Voodoo Tone Monster w/o Pickups
Click on a thumbnail to view a larger image
|High quality Copper Shield||
Neat and professional wiring
Example w/tortoise pickguard
ABOUT THIS HARNESS
PICKUP INSTALLATION :
Pickup Installation will be a Snap!
Since all of your pickup leads need to get soldered to the delicate mini-switch, we have dramatically simplified the installation for you by providing you with 6 colored coded cloth leads each with a ring connector attached. All you need to do is solder each of your 6 pickup leads to the correct connector (as indicated in the table below), and insulate with heat shrink tubing to prevent shorts. Don't worry, we will provide you with the heat shrink tubing, and very easy hookup instructions. We will even provide you with some solder!!
PICKUP LEAD VOODOO TONE MONSTER LEAD Bridge Pickup's hot wire White Bridge Pickup's ground wire Black Middle Pickup's hot wire Yellow Middle Pickup's ground wire Blue Neck Pickup's hot wire Red Neck Pickup's ground wire Green
Following the pickup installation, you will need to screw in the pickguard and solder the black and white cloth leads to your output jack, and the blue cloth lead to your trem claw (or if your guitar already has a shielding ground wire you may solder this to the back of the volume pot).
Choose from standard colors. Depicted below is a Tortoise pickguard.
Rothstein Guitars' famous "Voodoo Tone Monster®" wiring configuration gives you 9 pickup combinations!
- 5 way switch with master volume, master tone, master midrange plus a "blow" switch to engage bridge/neck in series as well as a "neck-on" switch to engage the neck pickup with any other. The nice thing about this is that a player can always fall back on the standard strat 5 way switching, but using mini-switches you can access some very cool tones. A push pull pot is used to engage the neck pup with any other to get the 2 missing sounds, namely neck/bridge (telecaster like) and all 3 on. In addition, a 3PDT switch is used to get a series connection between the bridge and middle pickups which will give you a noticeable boost in both volume and bottom end.VOLUME/TONE CONTROLS:
Volume Pot:300K CTS Pot with volume kit installed (1000 pf Mallory cap parallel with 150K resistor) to prevent the loss of highs when you roll down the volume control
Tone Pot: Master Tone
- .022 uF Orange Drop Capacitor
- Mounted on a 250K Push Pull pot to engage a "NECK-ON" Switch when pulled up.2nd Tone Pot: Master RG500D Passive Midrange Control w/Center Detent
As you turn the knob counterclockwise from 5 towards 0 this scoops out some midrange frequencies while leaving the high and low frequencies intact. The "notched" frequency is in the "upper mid" ballpark of 850 hz as you can see in the following plot. Some people report the tone to have an almost "acoustic" like quality. Personally, I think this makes for a nice "funky" tone with a clean sound. Now, when you turn the control from 5 towards 10 you get a slightly fatter and hotter sound. Note: this is not the same thing, nor as dramatic as active electronics, but it is still very cool, subtle and a totally passive mod. It is almost as if you are tapping into a slightly higher resistance version of the same pickup. The control is neutral in the 5 spot. We are the only vendor offering a control like this on a custom made, custom taper, 24 tooth CTS pot with a center detent.3PDT Mini-Switch
- .SWITCH IN "LEFT" POSITION:
- OFF disengaged
- SWITCH IN "RIGHT" POSITION
- ON-engages Bride and Middle Pickups in series which results in a louder sound with more bottom. The great thing is there are NO DEAD SPOTS in the 5 way switch which is a common problem with series mods. When the series switch is engaged, positions 1, 2 and 3 of the 5 way switch are identical to each other (all 3 positions will sport the bridge + middle pickups in series) while positions 4 and 5 are identical to each other as well (both positions will have bridge + middle in series coupled with the neck pickup added on top). Furthermore, since the bridge and middle pickups are of opposite polarity, you get the added benefit of hum-cancellation between the bridge and middle pickups.
Copper Shielding:We are the only company offering harnesses with very high quality, noise canceling, soft-tempered .004" thickness copper plate shielding as opposed to the flimsy aluminum foil that others will use.
The copper shield will be embossed with our logo as a method of branding and authenticating our wiring.