Jazzmaster STB Super Mod - DIY Kit
ROTHSTEIN STB JAZZMASTER SUPER MOD - DIY UPGRADE KIT
DUAL VOLUMES, PTB TONE STACK, and SERIES/PARALLEL SWITCHING
Ever wonder what you can do with the rhythm circuit on your Jazzmaster? Check out our STB Mod kit for the Jazzmaster which combines, dual volumes, series/parallel switching, and passive treble and bass controls. Interested? Read on about the features:
DUAL VOLUMES IN THE LEAD CIRCUIT - Simple and intuitive. Wired like a Les Paul, this gives you the ability to blend in a percentage of the neck pickup along with the bridge pickup.
PTB TONE STACK - developed by Leo Fender for G&L guitars, PTB stands for Passive Treble and Bass. One control cuts treble, and the other cuts bass. Both are configured as “master” controls, meaning they affect all pickup switch positions. The treble cut control is a low pass filter, and functions just like a standard tone control. The bass cut control is a high pass filter, which enables you to dial out some of the low frequencies. This is extremely useful, particularly to help overdriven sounds “pop” and cut through a mix.
SERIES/PARALLEL SWITCHING: The slide switch is used to implement series/parallel switching. Parallel mode will be brighter with scooped mids, and exhibit more “quack” and twang. In contrast, series mode sound more humbucker-like, in that it will be louder, darker and have more pronounced mids.
KILL SWITCH WHEN IN SERIES MODE - There is one unexpected but useful by product of this wiring scheme that some players will really dig. When the series connection is engaged, one of the toggle-switch positions will yield no sound at all, in this case the bridge position. With this, you are really getting a kill switch effect as an added bonus!
- Soldering Skill Required - I would categorize this as a fairly advanced wiring mod, and not a good first project for someone. If you have good soldering skills and can follow an easy to read diagram, you will be fine. If you are not good at soldering, you may purchase the kit and bring it to a qualified tech.
- Pickguard Shield Highly Recommended - I strongly urge you to use a full pickguard shield with this mod. You can use either the Fender Aluminum pickguard, or you may purchase one of our copper shields.
- (2) 1M audio taper CTS pots (for the lower/lead circuit)
- (1) 1M audio taper Alpha roller pot (treble cut)
- (1) 1M Reverse Audio Taper Alpha roller pot (bass cut)
- 4 Pots
- .033 uf Orange Drop Capacitor for treble cut
- .0022 uf Mallory 150 Series Capacitor for bass cut
- 2 Treble bleed mods- To prevent the loss of highs as you lower your volume. We use a 1000 pf Mallory 150 series cap in parallel with a 150k resistor.
- Switchcraftt right angle toggle switch.
- Switchcraft slide switch.
- Switchcraft jack.
- Gavitt Vintage style "push-back" cloth wire.
- Bracket (for roller pots).
- Roller Knobs - pre-drilled to fit the roller pots
- Heat Shrink Tubing.
- Includes instructions and wiring diagram.