Use this page to order a prewired Jazzmaster assembly with our Dual Dial-A-Tap Wiring. Select from the options below and then add the assembly to your basket. You will find information about each option is at the bottom of the page. The initial price of every prewired assembly is $0, but after you add it your basket the actual price will be calculated. You can view the total price by viewing your basket contents.
Prewired Jazzmaster - Dual Dial-A-Tap Wiring
Dual Dial-A-Tap Jazzmaster® Wiring
SOUND SAMPLES ARE AVAILABLE HERE - performed by former Joe Jackson guitarist Vinnie Zummo
This is one of our most popular Jazzmaster mods requiring no visible changes to the instrument, and specifically designed to work with Curtis Novak's humbucking Jazzmaster pickups. My intention was to add a lot of versatility to the Jazzmaster as you can tell by these SOUND SAMPLES. I find that you can get a really versatile range of sounds for styles of music ranging from punk to bebop to hard rock without sacrificing the required "twang" for that classic surf sound. The dual dial-a-tap controls allow you to blend in the desired amount of coil tap. When fully tapped the 2 pickups are still hum-canceling because one of the roller pot shorts the north coil of one pickup, and the other pot shorts the south coil of the other pickup. In addition, the mod is completely bypassable (think true bypass) using the slide switch.
Expand any of the sections below to read important details about the various options we offer. You may use these links to Expand All and Collapse All to expand or collapse all sections with a single click
HOW TO USE THIS PAGE
All assemblies are custom built to your specs. This is an opportunity for you to select the options you want. You will notice, the base price of a prewired assembly is $0. You will then proceed to add attributes to customize your prewired assembly. Some of the attributes are mandatory, and some are optional. To determine the final price, simply add the product to your online shopping basket, and then click the "basket contents" link in the navigational header at the top of the page. Have no fear, you are not committed to purchasing it until you actually use the checkout feature.
Mandatory Attributes - the following attributes are required to place an order for a custom prewired Jazzmaster assembly:
- Top Quality Electronic Components & Professional Wiring including
- CTS Pots in vintage correct values- all treated with caig deoxit for long trouble free operation
- Genuine Switchcraft Switches (both toggle and slide)
- Switchcraft Jack
- SBE Orange Drop Capacitors are used (and upgrades are available as outlined below)
- Vintage style cloth wire in the 6 period correct colors (black, white, green, red, yellow and blue)
- Pickups - choose from a variety of Curtis Novak humbuckers as described below.
- Mounting bracket for the 2 roller pots
- Copper Shield - very high quality 2 mil thick copper pickguard shields specifically for the Jazzmaster
- Roller Knobs for the roller pots
- Accessories (Volume and Tone Knobs) - select between white, black, cream and parchment
- Pickguard -Various color choices are outlined below. In addition, you will be asked to specify the fit, either USA/AVRI, Made in Japan, or Fender Blacktop.
- Note 1- if you want us to special order another color, we can do so if you indicate such in the comments field.
- Note 2- If you wish to send us your pickguard, select "customer supplied" and contact us via e-mail to arrange to send us your pickguard (email@example.com)
Optional Attributes - In addition, you may add the following optional attributes:
- Volume Kit: a treble retention circuit will be added to the volume pot on the lead circuit, which will prevent the loss of highs experience when you lower your volume.
- Tone Capacitor Upgrade for Lead Circuit: You may choose between Uptone Audio MusiCap, VH Audio V-CAP, and NOS John E. Fast PIO capacitors.
Our Dual Dial-A-Tap wiring configuration is available only with Curtis Novak humbuckers. These are amazingly toneful pickups, and Curt offers a wide array of options. Rothstein Guitars is proud to be one of the few AUTHORIZED DEALERS for Curtis Novak pickups. You are welcome to mix and match any combination of neck and bridge humbuckers. These humbuckers will fit under standard JM covers so you will keep your vintage look!! The pickups will be pre-connected to the wiring harness.
JM-WR - Jazzmaster / Widerange Humbucker Replacement Pickup
A 3x3 offset design widerange humbucking pickup with threaded adjustable rod magnets made to fit in a Jazzmaster (White, Black, ore Cream cover included)
JM-PAF - Jazzmaster / PAF style Humbucker
The guts of a PAF Humbucker made to fit in a Jazzmaster (White, Black, ore Cream cover included)
JM-HC - Jazzmaster Humbucker
Jazzmaster / Stealth Hum-canceling replacement pickup - retains vintage tone but with no hum These pickups use standad Jazzmaster covers (White, Black, ore Cream cover included)
TONE CAPACITOR (Lead Circuit)
A .033 MDF SBE Orange Drop capacitors will be used by default at no extra charge, or for an upcharge you may select between Uptone Audio Muscaps, NOS John E. Fast Paper in Oil caps, and VH Audio V-Cap TFTF Teflon Film and Foil capacitors. The price will vary depending upon which capacitor you select. Read about our capacitor choices here. The capacitor upgrade option applies to the lead circuit only. A .022 MFD Orange Drop capacitor will be used in the rhythm circuit.
A volume kit (also know as a treble bleed mod or treble retention circuit). This is a high-pass filter used to prevent the loss of highs associated with lowering the volume on your guitar. We use a 1000 pf Mallory 150 Series Metalized Polyester Tubular capacitor in parallel with a 150K resistor. Check out our article about the Treble Bleed mod here.
We get our anodized pickguards exclusively from Tone-Guard, and all other pickuards from WD Music Products. We have the most common colors listed in the ordering form, but you may choose from any of the many colors available and list it in the comments field.
Gorgeous Anodized pickguards available from Tone-Guard in Gold, Black and Silver.
A Note About Fit: You must choose between the following 3 shapes:
- USA / AVRI - Available with both WD Music and Tone-Guard pickguards.
- Fender Blacktop - Available with both WD Music and Tone-Guard pickguards. See picture below of a Fender Black-top pickguard shape.
- 2007-2010 Made in Japan. Available with WD Music ONLY - Tone Guard anodized pickguards are NOT an option for these.
What about Mexican Made and Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmasters?
- If you have a Fender Road Worn series, the USA / AVRI is extremely close, so that will be your best best.
- If you have a Fender Blacktop series, then please specify that as the shape when placing your order. That will require a special pickguard which is available both from WD Music and Tone-Guard.
- If you have a Fender Classic Player series, then select "special order" for the pickguard and indicate the details and color choice in the comments field. The Classic Player will aslo require a special pickguard, which is available from WD Music ONLY. Tone-Guard is NOT yet an option for the Classic Player series.
- If you have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster, the shape is fairly close to the USA/AVRI shape, so that will be your best bet. Some of the pickguard holes won't line up exactly, but that is easy to manage.
What about Warmoth?
- Warmoth has their own unique shape, but no worries we work with Warmoth JM's all the time. If you are building a warmoth Jazzmaster and would like to get a prewired assembly from us, you then have 2 choices. 1). You can mail us your pickguard. 2). You can select "Special order" as the pickguard choice, and then clearly document all of the specs of the pickguard and we will special order it for you.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT CELLULOID PICKUARDS (this applies to Tortoise Pickguards)
Tortoise pickguards are made of real celluloid like you will see on vintage Fender guitars. This is the GENUINE stuff. Please be aware that celluloid is very flammable, so please keep it away from flames. Celluloid is a solvent based plastic and it tends to shrink over the years. Many vintage Fender guitars are plagued with this phenomenon. Very often the material cups slightly, so that when placed on a flat surface its edges may be raised 1/4" to 1/2" above the surface. Even if they're cupped when they come out of the package, they can easily be screwed flat onto the guitar.
We are the only company offering pre-wired harnesses with very high quality, noise canceling, THICK copper shielding. You may read more about our shields here.
KNOBS AND COVERS
Available in white, black, cream and parchment.
The copper shield will be embossed with our logo as a method of branding and authenticating our wiring.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
Each prewired assembly is hand wired and tested to your custom specifications. Our lead time on Jazzmaster assemblies is approximately 3 - 4 weeks. We will do our best to process your order as quickly as possible.