Use this page to order a prewired Jazzmaster assembly with vintage wiring. Select from the options below and then add the assembly to your basket. You will find information about each option is at the bottom of the page. The initial price of every prewired assembly is $0, but after you add it your basket the actual price will be calculated. You can view the total price by viewing your basket contents.
Prewired Jazzmaster STB Super Mod
Improve the Tone and Versatility of your Jazzmaster®
Upon installation of one of our custom wired assemblies, you will notice an improvement in both clarity and character, coupled with more versatility and reliability. Not only is this because we use only the finest components available, but primarily because we have been wiring Jazzmasters since 2002 and know how to make them soung great. Every component is hand picked for tolerance. Every pot treated with Caig D5. Every sensitive connection insulated with heat shrink. Every pickguard fitted with our signature copper shield. Every solder joint solid and shiny. Every assembly custom ordered, and never mass produced. Every unit tested extensively.
About Our STB Wiring Mod- Series/Parallel, Treble & Bass
What to do with that enigmatic rhythm circuit. That is the age old question that most every Jazzmaster player eventually asks. With our STB mod, we offer something extremely useful that will arm your offset with more versatility, and a wider tonal palette. STB stands for Series/Parallel, Treble & Bass.
- LEAD CIRCUIT - Dual Volume Controls and standard 3 position toggle switch - similar to what one would find on a Les Paul style guitar.
- SLIDE SWITCH - Series/Parallel switch: The parallel sound will offer the standard expected Jazzmaster sound, which will be bright, with scooped mids, and exhibit plenty of “quack” and twang. In contrast, series will sound more humbucker-like, in that it will be louder, darker and have more pronounced mids.
- RHYTYM CIRCUIT - Treble/Bass Tone Stack: Based on Leo Fender's PTB system that he developed for some G&L models, this employs two master tone controls: one offering a treble cut, and the other a bass cut. The treble cut control is a low pass filter, and functions just like a standard tone control. A low pass filter allows frequencies lower than the cutoff frequency to pass and higher frequencies are rolled off. The cutoff frequency is controlled by the capacitor and resistor values. The bass cut control is another animal entirely. It is a high pass filter, which allows frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency to pass, and lower frequencies are rolled off. This ability to dial out some of the low frequencies is extremely useful, particularly to help overdriven sounds “pop” and cut through a mix. I like to think of it as a “sharpen” control. It works extraordinarily well to brighten and tighten up the series sound. NOTE: The effect of the bass cut control will be subtle when using a clean sound, and more noticeable when using an overdriven sound.
A NOTE ABOUT SERIES MODE AND THE KILL SWITCH EFFECT - There is one unexpected by product of this wiring mod that some will really dig. The feature is that when the series connection is engaged, one of the toggle-switch positions will yield no sound at all, in this case the bridge position. What this means is you are really getting a kill switch effect as an added bonus.
WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE
Take a listen! These sound samples were performed by Andy Rothstein using a Squier VMJM upgraded with Curtis Novak pickups JM-FAT (bridge) and JM-V (neck). Everything else is 100% stock on the guitar including the bridge. The amp used was a Egnater Rebel 30. No pedals were used except for a Tube Screamer on samples 2 and 3 to achieve the light transparent overdrive.
- Jangly/Strumming, in parallel mode, with both tones on 10 - therefore tones are disengaged. This will be a classic JM sound.
- Jangly/Strumming, in SERIES mode, with both tones on 10 - therefore tones are disengaged. This will be a fatter sound.
- Jangly/Strumming, in SERIES mode, bass cut rolled down to 2 - Subtle effect, yet it sharpens up the series connection nicely.
- Crunch, Bridge Pickup only, both tones on 10 - therefore tones are disengaged. Channeling my inner Kurt Cobain on this track, but you get the point!
- Crunch, Bridge Pickup only, bass cut rolled down to 2 - the same riff has more punch and clarity
- Crunch, Bridge Pickup only, bass cut AND treble cut BOTH rolled down to 2 - very unique effect emphasizing the lower midrange.
- Funky - comparing parallel vs. series, both tones on 10 - I am playing the same pattern, first in parallel, and then in series.
- Will it work with any pickups? YES
- Will there be any visual changes to the pickguard? NO
- Will it work with AVRI, MIM, MIJ, Squier, Warmoth? YES. This is an equal opportunity mod!!
Expand any of the sections below to read important details about the various options we offer. You may use these links to Expand All and Collapse All to expand or collapse all sections with a single click
HOW TO USE THIS PAGE
All assemblies are custom built to your specs. This is an opportunity for you to select the options you want. You will notice, the base price of a prewired assembly is $0. You will then proceed to add attributes to customize your prewired assembly. Some of the attributes are mandatory, and some are optional. To determine the final price, simply add the product to your online shopping basket, and then click the "basket contents" link in the navigational header at the top of the page. Have no fear, you are not committed to purchasing it until you actually use the checkout feature.
Mandatory Attributes - the following attributes are required to place an order for a custom prewired Jazzmaster assembly:
- Top Quality Electronic Components & Professional Wiring including
- CTS Pots - all treated with caig deoxit for long trouble free operation
- Genuine Switchcraft Switches (both toggle and slide)
- Switchcraft Jack
- SBE Orange Drop Capacitors
- Vintage style cloth wire in the correct colors (black, white, green, red, yellow and blue)
- If ordering with pickups, this price includes the pickup covers (we stock white only)
- Pro wiring job
- Mounting bracket for the 2 roller pots
- Copper Shield - very high quality 2 mil thick copper pickguard shields specifically for the Jazzmaster®
- Roller Knobs for the roller pots
- Accessories (Volume and Tone Knobs for the lead circuit + pickup covers) - select between white, black and cream
- Pickguard -choose between Tortoise (USA vs. import), Gold Anodized (USA), white (USA), black (USA) and mint (USA).
- Note 1- if you want us to special order another color, we can do so if you indicate such in the comments field.
- Note 2- you can contact us via e-mail to arrange to send us your pickguard (email@example.com)
Optional Attributes - In addition, you may add the following optional attributes:
- Volume Kits/Treble Bleed: a treble retention circuit will be added to each of the volume pots, which will prevent the loss of highs experience when you lower your volume.
- Pickups: Select from any model Jazzmaster pickup listed below
We offer a variety of pickups to accompany our vintage reproduction Jazzmaster including from Curtis Novak, Lindy Fralin, McNelly and Arcane. We are an AUTHORIZED DEALER for all of the aforementioned companies, so the pickups come with the full warranty. You are welcome to mix and match any combination of pickups, however we recommend that you stick with one manufacturer for both the neck and bridge pickups to avoid potential phase issues.
Jazzmaster® Replacement Pickup
Jazzmaster® / P-90 Replacement Pickup
Telecaster® Bridge pickup made for the Jazzmaster form factor.
Jazzmaster® / with Strat magnets and fatter wire.
Jazzmaster® / Charlie Christian-style P-90
Jazzmaster® / PAF style Humbucker
Jazzmaster® / Wide Range Humbucker
McNelly 46/58 Jazzmaster® Replacement Pickup - a very musical blend of traditional Jazzmaster design with that of a P90. The tone has the super chime of Jazzmasters, but with less compression and a much broader range.
Lindy Fralin Jazzmaster® Replacement Pickup - choose between standard, Steel Poled, and hum-cancelling with Alnico magnets.
Arcane Jazzmaster® Vintage Pickup
Arcane Jazzmaster® Jazz 90
A volume kit (also know as a "treble retention circuit" or "treble bleed mod" or simply "high-pass filter") is used to prevent the loss of highs associated with lowering the volume on your guitar. We use a 1000 pf Mallory 150 Series Metalized Polyester Tubular capacitor in parallel with a 150K resistor.
We get the majority of pickguard from WD Music Products. We have the most common colors listed in the ordering form, but you may choose from any of the many colors available and list it in the comments field.
NOTE: Anodized pickguards are NOT available at the moment, but WD Music makes a few high quality simulated anodized options
A Note About Fit: You must choose between the following shapes:
- USA / AVRI
- Fender Blacktop
- Fender Classic Player
- 1966-1968 Made in Japan
What about other models such as the Vintera, Squier J Mascis, and Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmasters?
- To level set a bit, fitting an aftermarket pickguard is never 100% exact for a variety of reasons. For starters, wood has a tendency to expand and contract, and pickguards do not. In addition, there are always subtle differences in manufacturing methods. That said, fitting an aftermarket pickguard always involves fussing and adjusting usually in the form of light sanding, and drilling additional pickguard holes. This is a very simple task for a qualified luthier or tech, but could seem like a daunting task to someone who doesn't routinely work on guitars. If you have any concerns, please bring your pre-wired pickguard to a qualified luthier for installation. Below is some general guidance in selecting the most appropriate pickguard.
- If you have a Fender Vintera, Road Worn, J Mascis, or Vintage Modified, the USA / AVRI is a pretty close, so that will be your best best.
- If you have a Fender Blacktop series, then please specify that as the shape when placing your order. That will require a special pickguard.
- If you have a Fender Classic Player series, then please specify that as the shape when placing your order. That will require a special pickguard.
- If you have a Made in Japan (MIJ) Jazzmaster, then please specify the 66-68 MIJ option. If your Jazzmaster is from a different year, you may still select 66-68, as it will be reasonably close.
What about Warmoth?
- Warmoth has their own unique shape, but no worries we work with Warmoth JM's all the time. If you are building a warmoth Jazzmaster and would like to get a prewired assembly from us, you then have 2 choices. 1). You can mail us your pickguard. 2). You can select "Special order" as the pickguard choice, and then clearly document all of the specs of the pickguard and we will special order it for you.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT CELLULOID PICKUARDS (this applies to Tortoise Pickguards)
Tortoise pickguards are made of real celluloid like you will see on vintage Fender guitars. This is the GENUINE stuff. Please be aware that celluloid is very flammable, so please keep it away from flames. Celluloid is a solvent based plastic and it tends to shrink over the years. Many vintage Fender guitars are plagued with this phenomenon. Very often the material cups slightly, so that when placed on a flat surface its edges may be raised 1/4" to 1/2" above the surface. Even if they're cupped when they come out of the package, they can easily be screwed flat onto the guitar.
We are the only company offering pre-wired harnesses with very high quality, noise canceling, THICK copper shielding. Read more about our shields here.
KNOBS AND COVERS
Available in white, black and cream.
The copper shield will be embossed with our logo as a method of branding and authenticating our wiring.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
Each prewired assembly is hand wired and tested to your custom specifications. Our lead time on Jazzmaster assemblies is approximately 3 - 4 weeks. We will do our best to process your order as quickly as possible.